Survive the Season!
Christmas decorations adorn the malls and once again, the holiday season seems to be coming at us full speed! As you plan for the holidays, make sure you also have a plan for staying on track with your fitness and nutrition goals. Too often life gets busy or stressful and the first things to go are clean eating and regular exercise, when in fact, these are the very things that will help us manage stress in a more effective way. During busy times, it’s important to take care of yourself and make time for you…it’s the best gift you can give to yourself! After all…you’re worth it.
Here are some strategies to help you stay healthy and happy during the busy Christmas season…
• Schedule workouts – put them in your agenda and keep that appointment with yourself
• Don’t skip it – can’t do a 60 minute workout? That’s okay! Squeeze in a 20 minute power session rather than
skipping your entire workout
• Make sure you get adequate sleep
• Pack a cooler when you leave the house so you always have healthy meals and snacks when away from home – there are
plenty of temptations, especially at this time of year
• Eat before you go to the Christmas party – you’ll overeat if you arrive hungry
• Don’t hover around the buffet table at parties – fix yourself a plate, stop eating when it’s done, and step away from
• Don’t do it all – ask for help with meals, shopping, planning, and hosting functions
• Find some quiet time – be kind to yourself by spending time doing something that helps you to relax and recharge
• Keep alcohol consumption to a minimum – choose a cranberry juice spritzer instead of an alcoholic beverage – put it in
a fancy glass with a nice garnish, nobody else will know or care if you have alcohol in your glass or not
Make it through the holidays feeling like you’ve had a break instead of feeling like you need one. Eat, move, and be merry…in a healthy way!